Thursday, September 13, 2007

Happy Birthday, Sara!!

Seven years ago, it was midnight and I was anxiously sitting in a hospital bed to see if they were going to let me stay. I was 1 week overdue and Group B strep positive. I’d been having contractions about 2 minutes apart and was ready to stop being pregnant!!!! They started an IV for the antibiotics, Yay, I get to stay!!!! I labored through the night……walking, sitting, standing, rocking, on a ball, on the edge of the bed…….no relief. The nurse said, you’re doing great, about 7 cm!!! Cool!!!! The doctor came in at 7am and said, nope, maybe 4 cm. NOT COOL!!! I want an epidural!!!!

So I got my epidural and it was heaven. I relaxed, I watched TV, I slept. Hubby went home to grab a shower and feed the dog (we had Misha then). While he was gone, the epi started to wear off. I was having to breathe through the contractions. The nurse had me change positions and that helped a little but not much. So we went with epi #2. DEFINITELY NOT COOL!!! It did nothing for the pain and only made me dizzy and nauseous. So bring on #3, which only helped a little again. We were contemplating epi #4 (which, btw, the Nurse said was NOT the record!) but the Nurse said I was complete and could try pushing.

So now we start to push. It’s now about 4pm. I pushed for about 2 hours but wasn’t getting anywhere. Baby was big and her shoulder was caught on my pelvis. Dr decided a vacuum assist was the way to go. So with a few more pushes and lots of pulling by the Dr, Sara came into the world weighing 9lbs 2oz. She was beautiful!!!! Her skin was a rosy pink, her fingers long and thin and her head was covering in copper/red hair. They handed her to me and she hardly made a sound as she nuzzled close to me and went to sleep.

Happy Birthday, Sara, sweetie!!! We love you so much!!!!

Confession time: I’m a day late, since Sara’s birthday was actually Wednesday. Sorry, sweetie!!!

4 comments:

JHS, Esq. said...

Jen-

Congratulations! Your post from August 24, 2007: “Just Like Me” has been selected as our Post of the Day on “The Rising Blogger”. It is a site that awards posts, not blogs. We will email your winning badge to post in your sidebar and all our info, if you contact us with your email address. To encourage your readers to comment on your award, it helps if you make the first comment on our post about your blog, yourself. We ask winners to nominate a post favorite of a fellow blogger. Call it “paying it forward”. Neither is a requirement. You have won this award because we truly feel you deserve it. To reach “The Rising Blogger” site:

http://therisingblogger.blogspot.com

Have a great week!
Judd Corizan
The Rising Blogger

Mimi Lenox said...

Found your blog via The Rising Blogger. Congratulations. It was interesting to note that we are from the same state. It's unusual to find another blogger from my neck of the woods.

Congratulations and happy birthday to Sara!

Mimi Lenox

Jen E said...

Thank you so much Judd!! I'm thrilled!!

Thanks for visiting Mimi and for the birthday wishes!!! Hope you come back again!!!

Amanda said...

Aww, this was wonderful. Congratulations, nothing wrong with collecting your thoughts for a day.
My second was 9lbs 8oz, let's hear it for healthy baby girls!

Happiest of Birthdays to you Sara, may the birds perch far from your room and leave you to sweet slumber.